€8950-€10625 / week
Expansive house: Everyone can find their own space inside and out
Gorgeous views: High and wide, and over the lavender to Gordes
Beautiful decor: Luxury interiors and furnishings
Tennis court: Artificial grass court, gentle on knees
A wonderful, big Provence home with pool and tennis court, that can sleep up to 20 people in great comfort, under a mile from the stunning village of Gordes. There are great views down the Luberon valley and over the lavender field to Gordes, and the house combines the charm of an old Provence house with all modern comforts. The layout of the house is spread out and allows big groups to find their own privacy, but also for everyone to get together. An English-speaking caretaker is on hand to quickly deal with any problems during a rental.
- Main living room: a big space for gatherings with sofas and armchairs, equipped with big screen TV, English-language stations, and DVD library. The house has WiFi internet.
- Dining room: another big space, with stone fireplace, next to the kitchen.
- Kitchen: a beautiful Provencal kitchen with loggia terrace and high views. The kitchen has everything you might need to cook for many people, or bring in a chef: double oven and grange cooker with 6 gas burners, American fridge-freezer, dishwasher, microwave, and coffee machines. Outside the kitchen you can sit on the loggia for a drink with views over the countryside to Roussillon, Joucas and the Luberon mountain.
- Children’s living room: perfect to give the children their own space and play room.
- Annex house: there is a lovely cottage 30 metres from the main house that sleeps 6 and is perfect for groups wanting the option of independence when needed – the annex has a big bright space with living room and kitchen, TV and WiFi.
The house has 10 bedrooms and 9 bathrooms, with a total occupancy of 20 people. Two bedrooms can also offer an extra child’s bed. 3 of the bedrooms are in the annex house 30 metres from the main house.
- Master bedroom: A splendid room on the ground floor with 1.8m/6ft-wide bed, opening onto a sunny terrace with garden furniture and view. The master bathrooms has a walk-in shower, basin and separate toilet.
- Bedroom 2: Upstairs with amazing exposed beams. The double bed can be supplemented with an extra single for a child if needed. Its bathroom is down the stairs and has bath-tub, walk-in shower, double basins and separate toilet.
- Bedroom 3: With two double beds and an en suite bathroom with walk-in shower, basin and toilet.
- Bedroom 4: Accessed up some steps, this is a twin room with two single beds, ideal for children, with wash-basin and toilet.
- Bedroom 5: A children’s bunk room and en suite bathroom, with walk-in shower, basin and toilet.
- Bedroom 6: Upstairs, with double bed and option of an additional single. Its en suite bathroom has a claw-foot bath with overhead shower, and double basin.
- Bedroom 7: Also upstairs, this has a double bed and en suite bathroom with bath and overhead shower, basin and toilet.
- Bedroom 8: Downstairs, is a twin room, and has an en suite with shower, basin and toilet.
- Bedrooms 9 and 10: Double bedrooms, each with en suite bathroom with bath, hand-held shower, basin and separate toilets.
- Bedroom 11: Twin beds for children in between bedrooms 9 and 10.
The estate is over 10 acres, including a pool, artificial grass tennis court, lavender field and even a small vineyard.The views are over vineyards and fields, taking in the perched villages of Gordes, Joucas and Roussillon.
At the front of the house is the pool area with sunloungers, two dining tables in the shade, and an outdoor grill as well as a Weber bbq.
Off the dining room at the upper level of the house is another terrace, which is a great spot for an evening aperitif.
The annex house also has its own terrace by the lavender field, so there are many different spots to make one’s own.
Out of sight of the house is the tennis court, which has an artificial grass surface – this is a great surface, especially for those with knee and joint issues.
Access is through a gated entrance, up a tree-lined avenue, and there is plenty of secure parking. The house is set back from the nearest road which in any case is a very quiet country road.
At a glance
6 Double beds
6 Single beds
4 Shower room
Baby cot/high chair
In our view
What we like
- Space: This is the house where we would want to celebrate a special birthday with friends and family, up to 20 people can live in great comfort.
- Independence: With two wings and an annex, large groups can find their own privacy when needed.
- Furnishings: It’s beautifully furnished and decorated, every bedroom different but harmonious.
- Outdoor: Even when the house is full there are enough outdoor eating options, plus the grill and Weber bbq.
- Views: The elevation of the house gives beautiful views of countryside and perched villages.
- Lavender: It’s rare to have your own lavender field, and this one frames the perfect view of Gordes.
Things to note
- Pool security: The pool area is gated but care and supervision are still needed for children.
- Toddlers: The property is generally less suitable for toddlers, and there is a small stream that runs just beyond the garden, and is not fenced off.
Location – Gordes
Avalon is in a quiet setting 2km from the village of Gordes.
Gordes is perhaps the most picturesque village in Provence, if not France. Honey-coloured houses spiral down from the medieval castle at the top, to form the perfect hill-top village. Views from the village are far and wide over the vineyards and orchards to the Luberon mountain.
Gordes has many restaurants and a lovely Tuesday morning market, as well as basic food stores. In summer it is lively with cultural events, in the off-season it is calmer and more relaxed. Just outside Gordes is ‘the’ lavender photo opportunity – Senanque Abbey.
- The nearest international airports to Gordes are Marseille (70km/41 miles), Nice (240km/149 miles), Nimes (91km/56 miles), Montpellier (131km/81 miles).
- The nearest TGV high-speed stations to Gordes are Avignon TGV (41km/25 miles) and Aix-en-Provence TGV (78km/26 miles).
- Rental period: The rental week runs from Saturday 5pm to the following Saturday 10am in peak season. Arrival and departure are flexible the rest of the year.
- Minimum Stay: 1 week in peak season. Flexible the rest of the year.
- Included: Linens and towels, utilities, pool and garden maintenance, and after-stay clean. For stays of two weeks or more there is a weekly change of bedding and towels. Additional changes of bedding and towels can be pre-arranged, at guests’ cost.
- Damage deposit: There is a refundable security deposit of €500 against any breakages or damage.
- Smoking and Pets: Smoking is not allowed inside the house. Pets are not allowed upstairs.
- Full rental conditions