Location: Menerbes is one of Provence’s best villages.
View: Superb view over vineyards and lavender to the Luberon mountain.
Setting: Quiet setting but only 2 minutes walk to the village centre.
Design: Open-plan with big windows for the light of Provence.
A 2-bedroom house at the top of the village with wonderful view from almost every room. You can walk to the cafe, restaurants, and bakery of Menerbes in 2 minutes. There are two bedrooms, each with bathroom, and a loggia for sitting outside. The decor is cosy and Provencal, and the house is full of light thanks to the large windows facing south. On the main level the living room, kitchen/dining room, entrance and bedroom 1 are all open-plan. Bedroom 2 is on the lower level.
- Living Room: With sofa and armchairs around the fireplace, TV/DVD with French and some English-language news channels, DVD library, hifi. The house has WiFi internet throughout. The loggia, or covered balcony, is off the living room.
- Kitchen: The kitchen has a 4-ring stove, oven, fridge-freezer, dishwasher, microwave, and filter coffee machine.
- Dining room: Alongside the kitchen the dining table is set by two large windows with view.
- Laundry room: On the lower level, with washing machine and dryer.
The house sleeps up to 4 people, with one bedroom and bathroom on the main level, and the other on the lower level. Bedroom 1, on the main level, has a screen for privacy, but not a door to separate it from the rest of this floor. Bedroom 2 is on the lower level and private from the main level.
- Bedroom 1: On the main level, with a 1.6m/5.25ft-wide bed and Luberon view.
- Bathroom 1: En suite to bedroom 1, with walk-in shower, basin and WC.
- Bedroom 2: On the lower level, with either 2 single beds or a 1.8m/6tft-wide double. The en suite bathroom has a bath with overhead shower, basin and WC.
At a glance
2 Double beds
1 Shower room
Baby cot/high chair
In our view
What we like
- Location: Right at the highest point of Menerbes, which means it is quiet and has the best view, but you can walk down to the restaurants, cafe, grocery of the village in 2 minutes.
- View: You never tire of the view, it is quintessential Provence, looking down over rows of vines and lavender, pine and oak woods, and the Luberon mountain stretched out from east to west.
- Design: Provencal and cosy, with warm, colourful tones and a lot of natural light, the arched openings from room to room bring together the whole house into one space.
Things to note
- Bedroom 1: There is a screen rather than a door separating bedroom 1 from the rest of the main floor.
- Fireplace: The fireplace should not be used on windy days as the smoke can be blown back down the chimney.
The house is in a quiet road at the top of the village of Menerbes, a 2-minute walk to the village centre.
Menerbes is a perfect Provence village – picturesque, perched above the vineyards with terrific views all around, and blessed with good restaurants, bar and small food stores, as well as the seasonal market on Thursday mornings. Peter Mayle came here to write ‘A Year in Provence’, he left long ago but everything that delighted him and his readers is still in place. Art expos and a classical music festival give Menerbes a gentle buzz in the summer.
- The nearest international airports to Menerbes are Marseille (70km/41 miles), Nice (148 miles), Nimes (91km/56 miles), Montpellier (131km/81 miles).
- The nearest TGV high-speed rail stations to Menerbes are Avignon TGV (41km/25 miles) and Aix-en-Provence TGV (76km/25 miles).
- Rental period: The rental week runs from Saturday 4pm to the following Saturday 10am. Flexible outside peak season
- Minimum Stay: 1 week May-September and Xmas/New Year; 4 nights the rest of the year.
- Included: Linens and towels, utilities, after-stay clean.
- Smoking and Pets: Smoking and pets are not allowed inside.
- Full rental conditions