Pool: Shared use of large pool that’s heated in shoulder season.
Design: Designer interiors and high-end furnishings.
Lavender: A 5-acre lavender field right on the property.
Location: Right in the ‘golden triangle’ of the Luberon.
Calavon is one of three rental units on a large property near Bonnieux, where different parts of a farmhouse have been converted into high-end, contemporary rentals. The three rentals share the large, heated pool and 7 acres of grounds. The interior design is contemporary and elegant, maximising light and space, with high-quality furnishings. The rental is accessed by steps from outside and is on the first floor up, except for bedroom 2 which is on the ground floor and with independent access from the courtyard.
- Living Room: A triple-aspect room with double height ceiling and views over the garden, the Luberon mountain, and to the villlage of Gordes. The living room has sofa and armchairs, dining table, TV/DVD and Apple TV, and there is WiFi internet throughout.
- Kitchen: Open-plan in the living room, with island unit, 4-ring induction cooker, oven, fridge and dishwasher.
- Laundry Room: A separate room with washing machine.
Calavon sleeps 4 people in 2 double bedrooms, each with en suite bathroom, and offering total privacy from each other, which is perfect for two couples. One bedroom is on the mezzanine level over the living room, the other is independent with separate courtyard access and on the ground floor. Bedrooms and their bathrooms are open-plan, and there is no door between them.
- Bedroom 1: On the mezzanine level above the living room, with a 1.8m/6ft-wide box spring bed. Beneath the bedroom (on the same level as the living room) is the bathroom with pedestal bath, walk-in shower, double basins, WC and tile mosaic.
- Bedroom 2: Separate from the rest of the rental, the second bedroom is on the ground floor level, with independent access from the courtyard. Bedroom 2 has a 1.8m-wide (6ft) box spring bed and a pedestal bath in the room. Through french doors the room has its own patio with seating, facing west to the sunset. The en suite bathroom (with no door) has a walk-in shower, WC and double basins.
Calavon is part of a rental property spread over 2.8 ha (7 acres) of land, including a 5-acre lavender field. There are two other rental units on the property and the large pool and garden are shared. The outside space of Calavon faces away from the rest of the property and is totally private, with a shaded patio on the ground floor with table and chairs.
The pool measures 13m x 7m (42 x 23ft) and is heated in the shoulder months to extend the swimming season. The pool has an electronic sliding cover for security, and is on the other side of the property, 30 metres away. The poolhouse offers a shaded lounging area as well as a stone barbecue.
The property has plenty of off-street parking, and a boules court. Also on the grounds and out of the way is the caretakers’ cottage: the caretakers are an English couple who know the area very well and can help with problems or local advice. One of the services they can provide is a daily breakfast delivery.
At a glance
2 Double beds
Baby cot/high chair
In our view
What we like
- Pool: The shared pool is big and heated to extend the swimming season, and has a wonderful setting with the lavender field and the view to the Luberon.
- Lavender: No need to go anywhere to enjoy the quintessential Provence experience of a lavender field in bloom.
- Location: A quiet country setting roughly equidistant to three great Provence villages – Bonnieux, Lacoste and Goult – this is the famed ‘golden triangle’ of the Luberon, with its abundance of perched villages, daily markets, vineyards and wineries.
- Bathrooms: So much care has gone into the gorgeous bathrooms with elegant standalone bath tubs and walk-in showers.
Things to note
- Pool: The pool has a sliding cover for security but extra care should be taken with young children.
- Caretakers: The delightful English caretaker couple live in their own cottage on the grounds, and you can either get their help with everything from breakfast to local recommendations, or not see them at all, as you choose.
The property is in quiet countryside 2.5 miles (4km) from the village of Bonnieux and 3 miles (4.5km) from Goult and Lacoste, in the ‘golden triangle’ of the Luberon.
Bonnieux is as picture-perfect from afar as it is on the inside. Beautifully preserved and also alive all year thanks to its shops, cafes and especially its many restaurants. There is fine architecture to be seen in Bonnieux’s streets, dating back to the middle ages. And another reason to love Bonnieux – it has magnificent views, facing west there is a panorama that takes in half of the Luberon. The Friday morning market in Bonnieux is a must, it’s well stocked with stalls and very picturesque too.
- The nearest international airports to Bonnieux are Marseille (82km/48 miles), Nice (218km/128 miles), Nimes (100km/59 miles), Montpellier (142km/83 miles).
- The nearest TGV high-speed rail stations to Bonnieux are Aix-en-Provence TGV (57km/33 miles) and Avignon TGV (50km/29 miles).
- Rental period: The rental week runs from Saturday 5pm to the following Saturday 10am in peak season. Arrival and departure are flexible the rest of the year.
- Minimum Stay: 1 week in peak season. Flexible the rest of the year.
- Included: Linens and towels, utilities, after-stay clean.
- Damage deposit: There is a refundable security deposit of €500 against any breakages or damage.
- Smoking and Pets: Smoking and pets are not allowed in the house.
- Full rental conditions