€1560 / week
Design: Cool contemporary interior with high-end furnishings.
Location: Between 3 outstanding Provence villages.
Pool: Shared use of large pool that’s heated in shoulder season.
Upstairs: Fabulous bedroom and bathroom plus south-facing balcony.
Capucine is one of three rental units on a large property near Bonnieux, where different parts of a farmhouse have been converted into high-end, contemporary rentals. Capucine has its own garden and south-facing patio, and shared use of the large, heated pool and 7 acres of grounds. The interior has a strikingly contemporary design with a large, open-plan space upstairs and downstairs, and no internal doors. The downstairs is the living room and kitchen, and upstairs is bedroom and bathroom. All fixtures and furnishings are high-quality.
- Living Room: The tiled floor remains from the old farmhouse, the rest is a modern reboot. Sofa and armchairs are set by the fireplace, with TV/DVD and Apple TV, as well as WiFi throughout. The room opens out to the private garden to the side and also to the south-facing patio at the front.
- Kitchen: Open-plan with the living room is the sleek, modern kitchen, with island and breakfast bar. The kitchen has induction cooker, wall-mounted oven, fridge-freezer, dishwasher and Nespresso.
- Laundry Room: The washing machine is in a separate room.
The house sleeps up to 2 people in one bed. This is a contemporary design with the bedroom and bathroom open-plan, and there is no door between them.
- Bedroom: With a solid wood 1.8m/6ft-wide bed, and French doors to a balcony with deckchairs facing south to the Luberon. Facing the bed is a fireplace, and this forms the divider between bedroom and bathroom.
- Bathroom: Fabulous bathroom with his ‘n hers double shower, a pedestal bath, double basins and WC.
Capucine is part of a property of 2.8 ha (7 acres) of land, including a 5-acre lavender field. There are two other rental units on the property and the large pool and garden are shared. Capucine also has its own private part of the garden. There is a great view of the Luberon mountain, and the perched, hill-top villages of Bonnieux and Lacoste.
The pool measures 13m x 7m (42 x 23ft) and is heated in the shoulder months to extend the swimming season. The pool has an electronic sliding cover for security. The poolhouse offers a shaded lounging area as well as a stone barbecue.
Capucine’s private lawned garden to the side has a hammock and shaded dining table, along with an outdoor sofa. To the front, facing south, is a small patio and beyond that the pool area. There is also the sun-trap balcony off the bedroom upstairs.
The property has plenty of off-street parking, and a boules court. Also on the grounds and out of the way is the caretakers’ cottage: the caretakers are an English couple who know the area very well and can help with problems or local advice. One of the services they can provide is a daily breakfast delivery.
At a glance
1 Double bed
Baby cot/high chair
In our view
What we like
- Style: If you are looking for a traditional Provencal farmhouse feel, this is not the one for you, but if you want a contemporary, high-end ambience from the pages of a design magazine, this is the perfect choice. The open-plan bedroom and bathroom are particularly memorable.
- Pool: The shared pool is big and heated to extend the swimming season, and has a wonderful setting with the lavender field and the view to the Luberon.
- Lavender: No need to go anywhere to enjoy the quintessential Provence experience of a lavender field in bloom.
- Location: A quiet country setting roughly equidistant to three great Provence villages – Bonnieux, Lacoste and Goult – this is the famed ‘golden triangle’ of the Luberon, with its abundance of perched villages, daily markets, vineyards and wineries.
Things to note
- Pool: The pool has a sliding cover for security but extra care should be taken with young children.
- Caretakers: The delightful English caretaker couple live in their own cottage on the grounds, and you can either get their help with everything from breakfast to local recommendations, or not see them at all, as you choose.
The property is in quiet countryside 2.5 miles (4km) from the village of Bonnieux and 3 miles (4.5km) from Goult and Lacoste, in the ‘golden triangle’ of the Luberon.
Bonnieux is as picture-perfect from afar as it is on the inside. Beautifully preserved and also alive all year thanks to its shops, cafes and especially its many restaurants. There is fine architecture to be seen in Bonnieux’s streets, dating back to the middle ages. And another reason to love Bonnieux – it has magnificent views, facing west there is a panorama that takes in half of the Luberon. The Friday morning market in Bonnieux is a must, it’s well stocked with stalls and very picturesque too.
- The nearest international airports to Bonnieux are Marseille (82km/48 miles), Nice (218km/128 miles), Nimes (100km/59 miles), Montpellier (142km/83 miles).
- The nearest TGV high-speed rail stations to Bonnieux are Aix-en-Provence TGV (57km/33 miles) and Avignon TGV (50km/29 miles).
- Rental period: The rental week runs from Saturday 5pm to the following Saturday 10am in peak season. Arrival and departure are flexible the rest of the year.
- Minimum Stay: 1 week in peak season. Flexible the rest of the year.
- Included: Linens and towels, utilities, after-stay clean.
- Damage deposit: There is a refundable security deposit of €500 against any breakages or damage.
- Smoking and Pets: Smoking and pets are not allowed in the house.
- Full rental conditions