This is a grand village house sleeping 12, with beautiful walled garden and pool. The house dates back to the 17th century and would have been built by the most prominent family in the village – it retains the large volumes and period features that still delight today. The shops and restaurant of the village are less than a minute’s walk away.
- Kitchen: The kitchen is equipped with 4-ring stove, oven, microwave, fridge-freezer, dishwasher and coffee machine, and opens out to the terrace with dining table. Washing machine and dryer are upstairs.
- Living Room: With a vaulted ceiling, fireplace, TV and writing desk, the living room opens out to the garden and through to the dining room. The house has WiFi internet.
- Dining Room: An ornate room with wonderful original floor tiles, fireplace and dining table for 12.
- Top floor: On the top floor is the second living room, with sofas and ping pong table, and a great view over the village to the Luberon mountain and beyond. This room is popular with youngsters, who make it ‘their’ space.
- Guest WC: Guest WC is downstairs.
The house sleeps 12 people in 6 large bedrooms. Four bedrooms are in the main part of the house, and two in the annex accessed via the garden. Five of the bedrooms have two 90cm/3ft-wide beds which can be pushed together.
- Bedroom 1: A bright and large room with canopy bed, sitting area, and en suite bathroom with bath and overhead shower, basin and WC.
- Bedrooms 2, 3 and 4: Each with original tiles and exposed beams, in the main house.
- Bathroom 2: Family bathroom with bath, basin and WC.
- Shower room: Next to the family bathroom is a shower room, and a separate WC.
- Bedroom 5: In the annex, a large room overlooking the pool and garden through big windows.
- Bedroom 6: In the annex.
- Bathroom 4: The annex bathroom for bedrooms 5 and 6, with shower, basin and WC.
Clarabelle is in the middle of the village of Cabrieres d’Avignon, but it has the great benefit of a garden with pool.
The pool measures 9m x 4m (30 x 13ft) and has roman steps at one end and an alarm for security.
Along the front of the house is the terrace with dining table and gas barbecue by the kitchen, under the shade of the plane tree. Between terrace and pool is a lawn and the garden is planted with the colours and scents of Provence: olive and oleander, roses and rosemary.
There is private parking on the street right outside the house.
At a glance
In our view
What we like
- Outside: A big outside space for a village house, with pool and a feeling of a secret garden.
- Location: In a lovely non-touristy village with bakery, grocery and restaurant right on the doorstep.
- Top floor: The top floor living room is a place for fun and ping pong, was well as the far-ranging view.
- Grand design: The house wears its centuries lightly, the original floor tiles are everywhere, and you feel a connection to the past. The thick walls help keep the house cool in summer too.
Things to note
- Pool security: The pool has an alarm for security, but parental supervision is still needed for young children.
- Parking: Parking is on the street and free, and you can invariably park right by the house.
The house is in between the village of Cabrieres d’Avignon and Coustellet in the Luberon region of Provence.
Cabrieres d’Avignon is an authentic Provence village, with the same gorgeous honey-coloured stone as its famous neighbour Gordes, but fewer visitors. Cabrieres has what you need to avoid shopping in the car – bakery, grocery, butcher and restaurant. The village also has public tennis courts and a children’s playground so it’s a good choice for families. Five minutes down the road are all the shops and farmers’ market of Coustellet. In the other direction you can head into excellent hiking territory, or follow the remains of the medieval ‘plague wall’ which was built to keep the plague out.
- The nearest international airports to Cabrieres d’Avignon are Avignon (24km/14 miles), Nimes (85km/52 miles), Montpellier (123km/76 miles), Marseille (67km/41 miles), Nice (237km/147 miles).
- The nearest TGV high-speed rail station to Cabrieres d’Avignon is Avignon TGV (34km/21 miles).
- Rental period: The rental week runs from Saturday 5pm to the following Saturday 10am in peak season. Arrival and departure are flexible the rest of the year.
- Minimum Stay: 1 week in peak season. Flexible the rest of the year.
- Included: Linens and towels, pool towels, utilities, 2 x 2 hours of cleaning per week, pool and garden maintenance, after-stay clean.
- Damage deposit: There is a refundable security deposit of 800 euros against any breakages or damage.
- Smoking and Pets: Smoking and pets are not allowed inside the house.
- Full rental conditions