Style: A unique blend of antiques and finds from local markets.
Decor: Beautifully styled by an interior decorator.
Garden: Formal garden, rose-clad pergolas, olive and lavender.
Space: Plenty of room inside and out.
Les Coudelieres is an amazing rental home whose owner is both interior designer and antique dealer, and passionate about Provence style. Its interior is the result of decades of expertly browsing the antiques and bric-a-brac markets at nearby L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, to make a house that is both homely and extraordinary. In this house you are literally stepping into the pages of a magazine, as it has featured in several design and lifestyle publications.
- Living Room: A large room with french doors out to the garden, full of character, antiques and beautiful objects. There is also TV/DVD and the house has WiFi internet.
- Kitchen: The huge kitchen is the heart of the home, a stunning space for families to gather. As well as the lure of the old there is the convenience of the modern, with extra-large oven, 5-ring stove, dishwasher, two fridges, microwave. Next to the kitchen is the laundry room with washing machine.
- Study/Library: Alongside the living room is the study with piano, writing desk and club armchairs.
- Guest Toilet: On the ground floor.
The house sleeps 10 people in 6 bedrooms, with 4 bathrooms. There are 3 double bedrooms, one triple room, and 2 single rooms. One double bedroom and bathroom is on the ground floor.
- Master Bedroom: A wonderful ornate room with a vast, luxurious bed that is 2.1m/7ft wide. The room is dual aspect over the gardens and has a writing desk and sitting area. Its en suite bathroom has pedestal bath with hand-held shower, stone basin and toilet.
- Bedroom 2: Has a 1.6m/5.25ft-wide double bed.
- Bedroom 3: A children’s room with three single beds.
- Bedroom 4: A single room with 1.1m/3.6ft-wide bed.
- Bedroom 5: Single room with a 1.2m/4ft-wide bed.
- Bathroom 2: Upstairs, with pedestal bath and hand-held shower, basin and toilet.
- Bathroom 3: Upstairs, with shower, basin and toilet.
- Bedroom 6: On the ground floor with french doors to the garden, this big room has a 1.4m/4.6ft-wide double bed and en suite shower room with shower, basin and toilet.
The house is set in 2.5 acres of beautifully tended land (10,000 sq. m), arranged in three different areas. When you arrive you pass through an alley of olive trees and lavender, past fruit trees, cypresses and a vegetable garden that yields tomatoes, summer vegetables and herbs. In front of the house is the formal garden with ancient plane trees, parterres of box hedges and roses, leading to the swimming pool. And then after the pool is the meadow for children to play in.
The pool is at the end of a gorgeous rose walk, along a rose-clad pergola, and measures 11m x 5.5m (36ft x 18ft). The pool has roman steps, and an alarm for security.
There are various spots for sitting outside and taking in the beauty of the formal garden, as well as a dining table on the terrace to the side, by the kitchen.
In the lawned meadow are two water features: a fountain and a smaller water basin.
The house is set well back from a very quiet country road, which makes it a very peaceful setting. You go through a gated entrance at the road, and this leads to the large decorative gates at the house. There is secure parking for several cars.
In a separate house is the caretaker/gardener for the house, so if there are any problems he is on hand to help.
At a glance
3 Double beds
5 Single beds
2 Shower room
Baby cot/high chair
In our view
What we like
- Decor: The house is stunning enough to grace the pages of magazines and books on Provence.
- Large Garden: Three distinct areas, with visual beauty, seasonal produce, and room for children to run around in.
- Kitchen: A room you never tire of, it’s the lovingly assembled heart of the home.
- Antiques: If you like antiques you will love this home, the owner is an antiques dealer who raids the markets of nearby L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue for treasures.
Things to note
- Children: The house is full of beautiful objects and so is not ideal for hyperactive children.
- Pool safety: The pool is not fenced but has an alarm system. For small children extra care and supervision are advised.
- Water features: There are two unprotected water features in the garden, which are potential hazards for toddlers.
Mas du Thor is in a quiet country setting 4km from the village of Le Thor, and 12km from the town of L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue.
L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is a wonderful Provence market town with many restaurants, cafes, boutiques and specialist stores, an historic centre, and the nickname ‘The Venice of Provence’. But that is not what l’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is known for – it is also the antiques capital of France, with hundreds of sellers and stores open every Sunday, ranging from collectable bric-a-brac to the real thing.
- The nearest international airports to L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue are Marseille (41 miles), Nice (148 miles), Nimes (44 miles), Montpellier (72 miles).
- L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue has a railway station and the nearest TGV high-speed stations are Avignon (16 miles) and Aix-en-Provence (44 miles).
- Rental period: The rental week runs from Saturday 5pm to the following Saturday 10am in peak season. Arrival and departure are flexible the rest of the year.
- Minimum Stay: 1 week.
- Included: Linens and towels, utilities, visitor tax, after-stay clean.
- Damage deposit: There is a refundable security deposit of €1000 against any breakages or damage.
- Smoking and Pets: Smoking and pets are not allowed in the house.
- Full rental conditions