Grand Fontvert is a large Provence country house for 14 people in 4 acres with gorgeous views, big heated pool and tennis court, less than 10 minutes’ walk from the village of St-Martin-de-Castillon. The downstairs living spaces are part traditional farmhouse and part modern extension. The extension is a large, light-filled space with contemporary kitchen and living room around a wood-burning stove. One long wall is all window, facing south to the terrace and view. In the old farmhouse part of the house are a cosy living room with fireplace and exposed beams, and dining room.
- Kitchen and sitting room: The modern extension to the house is a big light-filled space which opens out to the terrace along its entire length through wide glass doors. The kitchen has a big island for food preparation and is equipped with large range oven, 5-ring gas stove, American fridge-freezer with ice and water, dishwasher and Nespresso. The sitting area alongside has sofas and armchairs around a wood-burning stove.
- Living Room: With beamed ceiling, and sofas and armchairs around the fireplace, this room opens out to the terrace. There is TV/DVD with UK Sky. The house has WiFi internet.
- Dining room: Dining table in the hallway.
- Guest WC: The guest WC is downstairs.
- Laundry room: With washing machine and dryer.
The house sleeps 14 people in 7 bedrooms, with 6 bathrooms. Bedrooms are spread out and offer independence for a large group, with 4 bedrooms in the main house, one on a lower level with garden access, and two bedrooms in the upstairs annex apartment next to the house.
- Bedroom 1: Master bedroom in the main house with 1.6m/5.25ft-wide 4-poster bed, and private balcony with the south-facing view of the hills. The master bedroom has an en suite bathroom with walk-in power shower, basin, WC, and bath with view through the glass wall.
- Bedroom 2: In the main house with 1.6m/5.25ft-wide bed and en suite bathroom with walk-in shower, basin and WC.
- Bedroom 3: On the pool level, below the front terrace, a separate, spacious, air-conditioned bedroom with view through french doors, and sitting area. The bed is 1.6m/5.25ft wide and the en suite bathroom has bath with overhead shower, basin and WC.
- Bedroom 4: Downstairs in the main house, a bunk room for children, and en suite shower room with shower and basin.
- Bedroom 5: Upstairs in the main house with twin beds and en suite bathroom with bath and overhead shower, basin and WC.
- Bedroom 6: In annex apartment, with a 1.4m/4.6ft-wide bed.
- Bedroom 7: In the annex apartment, with twin beds.
- Bathroom 6: The annex apartment bathroom has bath, shower, basin and separate WC.
The house is set in 4 acres of rolling lawns, facing the stunning view of the Luberon hills. At the front of the house is a large raised terrace with shaded dining table and barbecue. Down a level is the pool area.
The pool is heated and measures 12m x 7m (39 x 22ft). It has an electronic sliding cover for security. Around the pool are sunloungers, and a poolhouse with shower and WC. The poolhouse also houses the games room with pool table and ping pong.
On the level above the house is the floodlit hardcourt tennis court, which also has a practice wall.
There is plenty of parking to the side of the house.
At a glance
In our view
What we like
- Fun: You cannot be bored at this house: with the big heated pool for a long swimming season, the floodlit court for tennis at all hours, and there is also table tennis, a pool table and, of course, boules.
- View: A fabulous high, far view of hills and the Luberon mountain, available from almost everywhere in and outside the house, including the master bath-tub.
- Design: The mix of old and new is a great success, and there are plenty of spaces and different spots for 14 people never to feel on top of each other.
Things to note
- Air Conditioning: The air conditioning is only in bedroom 3.
- Pool security: The pool has an electronic cover for security, but extra care should be taken with young children.
Be the first to leave a review.
Grand Fontvert is in the countryside 500 metres (0.3 miles) from the village of St-Martin-de-Castillon, less than 10 minutes’ walk away.
St-Martin-de-Castillon is a tiny, typical Provence village perched on a hill overlooking the valley and the Luberon mountain to the south. St-Martin-de-Castillon is small but has a cafe/restaurant and a grocery store with fresh bread and chicken rotisserie. This is dream hiking country, and the GR11 walking trail goes right through the village, and on past the surrounding lavender fields. The market town of Apt is 12km (7 miles) to the west.
- The nearest international airports to St-Martin-de-Castillon are Marseille (94km/58 miles), Nice (219km/136 miles), Nimes (109km/67 miles), Montpellier (155km/96 miles).
- The nearest TGV high-speed rail stations to St-Martin-de-Castillon are Avignon TGV (65km/40 miles) and Aix-en-Provence TGV (83km/51 miles).
- Rental period: The rental week runs from Saturday 5pm to the following Saturday 10am in peak season. Arrival and departure are flexible the rest of the year.
- Minimum Stay: 1 week in peak season. Flexible the rest of the year.
- Included: Linens and towels, utilities, cleaning 2 x per week, after-stay clean.
- Damage deposit: There is a refundable security deposit of €600 against any breakages or damage.
- Smoking and Pets: Smoking and pets are not allowed in the house.
- Full rental conditions