A delightful village house right in the ochre heart of Roussillon in Provence. Central but quiet, with a lovely view to the south over ochre cliffs and pines, this is a very romantic 2-bedroom nest with zestful design and plenty of light. There is a terrace for outdoor living on the upper floor, with that view. You can walk to the restaurants, shops and bakery of Roussillon in 1 minute.
- Living Room: The living room is a large, bright upstairs room with double-height ceiling opening out to the south-facing terrace. On a mezzanine level above is a writing desk and day-bed, and a balcony with an even better view.
- Kitchen & dining room: You enter the house into the charming Provencal kitchen and dining room at street level. The kitchen has oven, 4-ring stove, dishwasher, filter coffee machine and Nespresso, and in the pantry are the fridge-freezer, washing machine and dryer. From this space are steps to the lower level with bedroom 1 and to the upper level with living room and bedroom 2.
The house sleeps 4 people in two bedrooms, each with its own bathroom. The bedrooms are on different floors which gives them privacy from each other.
- Bedroom 1: On the upper floor, the same floor as the living room and terrace, this bedroom has a 1.4m/4.6ft-wide double and en suite bathroom with bath and overhead shower, basin and WC.
- Bedroom 2: On the lower level, a dual-aspect room with 1.4m/4.6ft-wide bed and a juliet balcony with a view. The en suite bathroom has a shower, basin and WC. (Note that this bathroom has no ceiling so is not totally private from the bedroom).
The house has a south-facing terrace on the upper level, with a lovely view of the ochre landscape around Roussillon, as far as the Luberon mountain. The terrace is in terra cotta, with a shaded dining table and relaxation area.
Off the mezzanine level above this is a smaller balcony with the same view, even better as it is higher.
You can drive right up to the house to drop off luggage or shopping, and then park in one of the nearby village car parks – a parking pass is provided on arrival.
At a glance
In our view
What we like
- Terrace: With its dining table and country view, the terrace gives you a Provence outlook and a place to eat all meals.
- Location: A wonderful, quiet location right in the middle of the village of Roussillon – in 1 minute you can walk to the bakery, restaurants, cafe or market of the village.
- Design: A real, cosy Provencal feel to the kitchen and dining room, as well as the bedrooms. Then when you get up to the living room, something else – a big, bright room full of light, opening to the terrace through huge openings. An ideal blend of styles.
Things to note
- No TV: This house does not have a TV, it does have WiFi internet.
- Minimum age: The minimum age at this house is 7 years old.
Maison Rouge is in a quiet street in the heart of the village of Roussillon.
Roussillon is one of the most recognisable villages in France. It used to be known for its ochre quarry, now it is known for the spectacular palette of ochre shades that colour the houses – there are said to be 17 different hues from yellow to pink. Roussillon is not just a pretty face, as a popular village it has several restaurants, art boutiques and a quaint market on Thursday mornings, so it is a good village base too. Not to mention the other-worldly ochre quarry which you can visit on a circuit of the ochre walk (sentier des ocres).
- The nearest international airports to Roussillon are Marseille (81km/50 miles), Nice (228km/141 miles), Nimes (101km/62 miles), Montpellier (141km/87 miles).
- The nearest TGV high-speed railway stations to Roussillon are Avignon TGV (50km/31 miles) and Aix-en-Provence TGV (88km/54 miles).
- Rental period: The rental week runs from Saturday 5pm to the following Saturday 10am in peak season. Arrival and departure are flexible the rest of the year.
- Minimum Stay: 1 week in peak season. Flexible the rest of the year.
- Included: Linens and towels, utilities, after-stay clean.
- Damage deposit: There is a refundable security deposit of €600 against any breakages or damage.
- Smoking and Pets: Smoking and pets are not allowed in this house.
- Full rental conditions