A perfect Provence family home for big gatherings, sleeping 18 in 9 bedrooms, and with living spaces spread around the central courtyard. There is never a dull moment with the large pool, floodlit tennis court, boules court and table tennis. The house is set in 9 acres of land, in a very peaceful location 10 minutes from the stunning market town of l’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue.
- Living Room: With fireplace and TV, the living room has a period vaulted ceiling and two sofas. The TV has DVD and Sky (UK channels).
- Kitchen: The kitchen is perfect for keen cooks, with its professional range cooker, with double ovens and 5 gas burners. Also in the kitchen are dishwasher, microwave, food processor, and Nespresso. In the larder/utility room off the kitchen are two fridge-freezers, washing machine and tumble dryer.
- Dining Room: The dining room is a big space with dining table, sitting area, and board games. It opens out to the courtyard dining table and through a big opening to the kitchen.
- Barn living room: On the other side of the courtyard the converted barn includes a large living room with second kitchen (cooker, dishwasher and fridge), sofas, and dining table. This room has also been used for courses or Pilates workshops. It is a bright room with its own terrace and part of the garden.
- Guest WC: On the ground floor in the main house.
The house sleeps a total of 18 people, with 5 bedrooms in the main house and 4 ground floor bedrooms in the converted barn across the courtyard. There are 7 bathrooms.
Main House Bedrooms
- Master Bedroom: The spacious master bedroom has a 1.6m/5.25ft-wide bed, and also in the bedroom are bath, separate shower, double basins, and separate WC. This bedroom connects to bedroom 4.
- Bedroom 2: Another big bedroom, with a 1.6m/5.25ft-wide bed, and use of bathroom 2 on the landing along with bedroom 3.
- Bathroom 2: Shared by bedrooms 2 and 3, with bath, walk-in shower, double basins and WC.
- Bedroom 3: With 1.6m/5.25ft-wide bed.
- Bedroom 4: Can be reached through the master bedroom or up the spiral staircase from the dining room. This bedroom is ideally for children of parents in the master bedroom. It has a 1.4m/4.6ft wide bed and corner shower, basin, and separate WC shared with master bedroom.
- Bedroom 5: Up a level on the second floor above ground, a bedroom with two double beds, both measuring 1.6m/5.25ft-wide, and next to bathroom 3 and a separate WC.
- Bathroom 3: On the second floor next to bedroom 5, with walk-in shower, basin and separate WC. Courtyard Bedrooms
- Bedroom 6: Ground floor bedroom in the converted barn, accessed through french doors from the courtyard. Can be configured as either 2 single beds or a 1.8m/6ft-wide double. The en suite bathroom has shower, basin and WC.
- Bedroom 7: Ground floor bedroom in the converted barn, accessed through french doors from the courtyard. Can be configured as either 2 single beds or a 1.8m/6ft-wide double. The en suite bathroom has shower, basin and WC. Barn Bedrooms
- Bedroom 8: Ground floor bedroom in the converted barn, off the living room, which can be configured as either 2 single beds or a 1.8m/6ft-wide double. The en suite bathroom has shower, basin and WC.
- Bedroom 9: Ground floor bedroom in the converted barn, off the living room, which can be configured as either 2 single beds or a 1.8m/6ft-wide double. The en suite bathroom has shower, basin and WC.
The house is set around a sheltered courtyard where you won’t feel any wind, with an old olive tree as the centrepiece. The shaded dining table is next to the kitchen, and alongside is a gas BBQ.
The swimming pool is on a lawn to the front of the house and measures 12m x 6m (40 x 20 ft). Around the pool are sunloungers and a gazebo with table and chairs for drinks. The pool is open from mid-May to early October.
There is a newly laid tennis court with lighting for night play.
On a level above the pool is a boules court, and alongside that a stone table and chairs with view over the Vaucluse plateau, and a place to enjoy the sunset.
The barn has a table tennis table that can be used indoors or out.
All in all the house is in 9 acres of land, made up of part lawn and part meadow planted with cherry, fig, almond, apple and pear trees.
At a glance
In our view
What we like
- Size: The house sleeps 18 with almost every bedroom having its own bathroom and with the flexibility in 4 bedrooms of being either a double or twin.
- Outdoor fun: Plenty of options for everyone – a newly laid tennis court with lighting, boules court, ping pong table and a large pool.
- Location: Quiet countryside setting, but you can be in the lively town of Isle-sur-la-Sorgue in 10 minutes.
- Courtyard: The centre of the home is the sheltered courtyard around which life revolves, where days are planned and adventures recounted.
Things to note
- Pool security: The pool is alarmed but not fenced so care is needed with younger children.
Les Madeleines is in a quiet country setting just 2 miles from the gorgeous market town of l’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue.
L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is a wonderful Provence market town with many restaurants, cafes, boutiques and specialist stores, an historic centre, and the nickname ‘The Venice of Provence’. But that is not what l’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is known for – it is also the antiques capital of France, with hundreds of sellers and stores open every Sunday, ranging from collectable bric-a-brac to the real thing.
- The nearest international airports to L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue are Marseille (41 miles), Nice (148 miles), Nimes (44 miles), Montpellier (72 miles).
- L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue has a railway station and the nearest TGV high-speed stations are Avignon (16 miles) and Aix-en-Provence (44 miles).
- Rental period: The rental week runs from Saturday 4pm to the following Saturday 10am in peak season. Arrival and departure are flexible the rest of the year.
- Minimum Stay: 1 week in peak season. Flexible the rest of the year.
- Included: Linens and towels, utilities, mid-week clean, after-stay clean.
- Damage deposit: There is a refundable security deposit of €700 against any breakages or damage.
- Smoking and Pets: Smoking and pets are not allowed in this house.
- Full rental conditions