€2996-€6951 / week
Size: It’s cosy but lets large groups find their own spaces.
Pool: Big enough for everyone.
Tennis: Newly laid and lit for night play.
Location: Quiet countryside but 2 miles from a great market town.
A perfect Provence family home for big gatherings, sleeping 18 in 9 bedrooms, and with living spaces spread around the central courtyard. There is never a dull moment with the large pool, floodlit tennis court, boules court and table tennis. The house is set in 9 acres of land, in a very peaceful location 10 minutes from the stunning market town of l’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue.
This is a 17th century farmhouse, modernised and with adjoining barn converted into bedrooms and an additional large living room. In the main house are the living room, and the big dining room and kitchen form one space for convivial gatherings, spilling out into the courtyard. For groups with different ages the set-up is ideal, as youngsters can claim their own part of the house.
- Living Room: With fireplace and TV, the living room has a period vaulted ceiling and two sofas. The TV has DVD and Sky (UK channels).
- Kitchen: The kitchen is perfect for keen cooks, with its professional range cooker, with double ovens and 5 gas burners. Also in the kitchen are dishwasher, microwave, food processor, and Nespresso. In the larder/utility room off the kitchen are two fridge-freezers, washing machine and tumble dryer.
- Dining Room: The dining room is a big space with dining table, sitting area, and board games. It opens out to the courtyard dining table and through a big opening to the kitchen.
- Barn living room: On the other side of the courtyard the converted barn includes a large living room with second kitchen (cooker, dishwasher and fridge), sofas, and dining table. This room has also been used for courses or Pilates workshops. It is a bright room with its own terrace and part of the garden.
- Guest WC: On the ground floor in the main house.
The house sleeps a total of 18 people, with 5 bedrooms in the main house and 4 ground floor bedrooms in the converted barn across the courtyard. There are 7 bathrooms.
- Main House Bedrooms
- Master Bedroom: The spacious master bedroom has a 1.6m/5.25ft-wide bed, and also in the bedroom are bath, separate shower, double basins, and separate WC. This bedroom connects to bedroom 4.
- Bedroom 2: Another big bedroom, with a 1.6m/5.25ft-wide bed, and use of bathroom 2 on the landing along with bedroom 3.
- Bathroom 2: Shared by bedrooms 2 and 3, with bath, walk-in shower, double basins and WC.
- Bedroom 3: With 1.6m/5.25ft-wide bed.
- Bedroom 4: Can be reached through the master bedroom or up the spiral staircase from the dining room. This bedroom is ideally for children of parents in the master bedroom. It has a 1.4m/4.6ft wide bed and corner shower, basin, and separate WC shared with master bedroom.
- Bedroom 5: Up a level on the second floor above ground, a bedroom with two double beds, both measuring 1.6m/5.25ft-wide, and next to bathroom 3 and a separate WC.
- Bathroom 3: On the second floor next to bedroom 5, with walk-in shower, basin and separate WC. Courtyard Bedrooms
- Bedroom 6: Ground floor bedroom in the converted barn, accessed through french doors from the courtyard. Can be configured as either 2 single beds or a 1.8m/6ft-wide double. The en suite bathroom has shower, basin and WC.
- Bedroom 7: Ground floor bedroom in the converted barn, accessed through french doors from the courtyard. Can be configured as either 2 single beds or a 1.8m/6ft-wide double. The en suite bathroom has shower, basin and WC. Barn Bedrooms
- Bedroom 8: Ground floor bedroom in the converted barn, off the living room, which can be configured as either 2 single beds or a 1.8m/6ft-wide double. The en suite bathroom has shower, basin and WC.
- Bedroom 9: Ground floor bedroom in the converted barn, off the living room, which can be configured as either 2 single beds or a 1.8m/6ft-wide double. The en suite bathroom has shower, basin and WC.
The house is set around a sheltered courtyard where you won’t feel any wind, with an old olive tree as the centrepiece. The shaded dining table is next to the kitchen, and alongside is a gas BBQ.
The swimming pool is on a lawn to the front of the house and measures 12m x 6m (40 x 20 ft). Around the pool are sunloungers and a gazebo with table and chairs for drinks. The pool is open from mid-May to early October.
There is a newly laid tennis court with lighting for night play.
On a level above the pool is a boules court, and alongside that a stone table and chairs with view over the Vaucluse plateau, and a place to enjoy the sunset.
The barn has a table tennis table that can be used indoors or out.
All in all the house is in 9 acres of land, made up of part lawn and part meadow planted with cherry, fig, almond, apple and pear trees.
At a glance
4-9 Double beds
0-10 Single beds
5 Shower rooms
Baby cot/high chair
In our view
What we like
- Size: The house sleeps 18 with almost every bedroom having its own bathroom and with the flexibility in 4 bedrooms of being either a double or twin.
- Outdoor fun: Plenty of options for everyone – a newly laid tennis court with lighting, boules court, ping pong table and a large pool.
- Location: Quiet countryside setting, but you can be in the lively town of Isle-sur-la-Sorgue in 10 minutes.
- Courtyard: The centre of the home is the sheltered courtyard around which life revolves, where days are planned and adventures recounted.
Things to note
- Pool security: The pool is alarmed but not fenced so care is needed with younger children.
Les Madeleines is in a quiet country setting just 2 miles from the gorgeous market town of l’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue.
L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is a wonderful Provence market town with many restaurants, cafes, boutiques and specialist stores, an historic centre, and the nickname ‘The Venice of Provence’. But that is not what l’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is known for – it is also the antiques capital of France, with hundreds of sellers and stores open every Sunday, ranging from collectable bric-a-brac to the real thing.
- The nearest international airports to L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue are Marseille (41 miles), Nice (148 miles), Nimes (44 miles), Montpellier (72 miles).
- L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue has a railway station and the nearest TGV high-speed stations are Avignon (16 miles) and Aix-en-Provence (44 miles).
- Rental period: The rental week runs from Saturday 4pm to the following Saturday 10am in peak season. Arrival and departure are flexible the rest of the year.
- Minimum Stay: 1 week in peak season. Flexible the rest of the year.
- Included: Linens and towels, utilities, mid-week clean, after-stay clean.
- Damage deposit: There is a refundable security deposit of €700 against any breakages or damage.
- Smoking and Pets: Smoking and pets are not allowed in this house.
- Full rental conditions