Marquis is one of three rental units on a large property near Bonnieux, where different parts of a farmhouse have been converted into high-end, contemporary rentals. The three rentals share the large, heated pool and 7 acres of grounds. The interior has a very modern feel with contemporary furnishings and decor. All fixtures and furnishings are high-quality.
- Living Room: Full of light, this dual-aspect room has sofas around the fireplace and three large openings out to the south-facing terrace. There is TV/DVD with Apple TV, and WiFi internet.
- Kitchen: Open-plan with the living room and designed to be unobtrusive, with white goods concealed and a long white work-top to blend into the room. The kitchen has induction stove, oven, dishwasher, and double fridge under the worktop.
- Dining Room: Adjoining the kitchen in a conservatory-style extension, providing a shaded place for meals, as an alternative to the main terrace facing south.
- Laundry Room: With washing machine.
- Guest WC: On the ground floor, next to the dining room.
Marquis sleeps 4 people in 2 double bedrooms, each with en suite bathroom. One bedroom is upstairs and one is on the ground floor. The design is contemporary, with the bedrooms and their bathrooms open-plan, and there is no door between them.
- Bedroom 1: A ground floor bedroom with access from the courtyard, the room has a 1.8m/6ft-wide box spring bed and a separate sitting area with sofa. The room opens out through french doors to two outdoor sitting areas. Through an arch is the bathroom with walk-in shower, pedestal bath, double basins and WC.
- Bedroom 2: Accessed up steps from the dining room, this room has a balcony looking over the pool and lavender field, and a 1.8m/6ft-wide bed facing the stone fireplace, with a pedestal bath, walk-in shower, double basins, and WC.
Marquis is part of a property of 2.8 ha (7 acres) of land, including a 5-acre lavender field. There are two other rental units on the property and the large pool and garden are shared. Marquis has a patio to the front facing the pool and lavender field, with shaded dining table. There is a great view of the Luberon mountain, and the perched, hill-top villages of Bonnieux and Lacoste.
The pool measures 13m x 7m (42 x 23ft) and is heated in the shoulder months to extend the swimming season. The pool has an electronic sliding cover for security. The poolhouse offers a shaded lounging area as well as a stone barbecue.
There is also the sun-trap balcony off the bedroom upstairs, and that too faces south to the view.
The property has plenty of off-street parking, and a boules court. Also on the grounds and out of the way is the caretakers’ cottage: the caretakers are an English couple who know the area very well and can help with problems or local advice. One of the services they can provide is a daily breakfast delivery.
At a glance
In our view
What we like
- Style: If you are looking for a traditional Provencal farmhouse feel, this is not the one for you, but if you want a contemporary, high-end ambience from the pages of a design magazine, this is the perfect choice. The open-plan bedroom and bathroom are particularly memorable.
- Pool: The shared pool is big and heated to extend the swimming season, and has a wonderful setting with the lavender field and the view to the Luberon.
- Lavender: No need to go anywhere to enjoy the quintessential Provence experience of a lavender field in bloom.
- Location: A quiet country setting roughly equidistant to three great Provence villages – Bonnieux, Lacoste and Goult – this is the famed ‘golden triangle’ of the Luberon, with its abundance of perched villages, daily markets, vineyards and wineries.
Things to note
- Pool: The pool has a sliding cover for security but extra care should be taken with young children.
- Caretakers: The delightful English caretaker couple live in their own cottage on the grounds, and you can either get their help with everything from breakfast to local recommendations, or not see them at all, as you choose.
The property is in quiet countryside 2.5 miles (4km) from the village of Bonnieux and 3 miles (4.5km) from Goult and Lacoste, in the ‘golden triangle’ of the Luberon.
Bonnieux is as picture-perfect from afar as it is on the inside. Beautifully preserved and also alive all year thanks to its shops, cafes and especially its many restaurants. There is fine architecture to be seen in Bonnieux’s streets, dating back to the middle ages. And another reason to love Bonnieux – it has magnificent views, facing west there is a panorama that takes in half of the Luberon. The Friday morning market in Bonnieux is a must, it’s well stocked with stalls and very picturesque too.
- The nearest international airports to Bonnieux are Marseille (82km/48 miles), Nice (218km/128 miles), Nimes (100km/59 miles), Montpellier (142km/83 miles).
- The nearest TGV high-speed rail stations to Bonnieux are Aix-en-Provence TGV (57km/33 miles) and Avignon TGV (50km/29 miles).
- Rental period: The rental week runs from Saturday 5pm to the following Saturday 10am in peak season. Arrival and departure are flexible the rest of the year.
- Minimum Stay: 1 week in peak season. Flexible the rest of the year.
- Included: Linens and towels, utilities, after-stay clean.
- Damage deposit: There is a refundable security deposit of €500 against any breakages or damage.
- Smoking and Pets: Smoking and pets are not allowed in the house.
- Full rental conditions