€2010-€2950 / week
Location: Rural and 1 mile from Joucas.
Kitchen: Professional kitchen for passionate amateurs.
Space: Spacious both inside and out.
Design: Classic Provence feel, beautiful original floor tiles.
Mas de Joucas is a typical Provencal country house with generous proportions, a gorgeous terrace under a grand shading plane tree, and original features like the ancient floor tiles. The house dates to the early 18th century. It has some surprises too: a cosy bar made from a stone drinking trough, and a kitchen fit for a professional. The house’s stone walls keep the inside notably cool in the summer.
Living Room: With seating around the fireplace and TV at one end, and dining table at the other, the room has large windows facing south which let the light flood in.
Kitchen: The kitchen is perfect for keen cooks, with its professional gas cooker/oven, and stainless steel worktops. There is also a more simple combi oven/microwave, fridge-freezer, dishwasher, and both Nespresso and Senseo coffee makers.
Bar: The entrance to the house, in a nod to its former life as a stables, has been converted into a convivial bar room with a stone water trough as the bar and hay racks on the wall.
Laundry: Next to the kitchen with washing machine and dryer.
Guest WC: Downstairs guest WC.
The house has 3 bedrooms upstairs, each with en suite bathroom, and sleeps 6.
Bedroom 1: A spacious room with either two single beds or a 1.8m/6ft-wide double. A pedestal bath stands in the bedroom as well the basin, and the WC is separate.
Bedroom 2: Can either be two single beds or a 1.8m/6ft-wide double. The en suite bathroom has shower and basin. WC is on the landing.
Bedroom 3: With a 1.8m/6ft-wide double bed, writing desk and a view over the vines to the village of Joucas. The en suite bathroom has shower and basin. WC is on the landing.
At the front of the house and facing south is the gravelled terrace with dining table and barbecue, under the deep shade of a venerable plane tree.
Beyond the terrace is the pool with sunloungers alongside, and then the grassy garden covers 2 acres and has views of the villages of Gordes and Roussillon.
Also in the garden is the outdoor ping pong table.
There is plenty of parking to the side of the house.
At a glance
1-3 Double beds
0-4 Single beds
2 Shower rooms
Baby cot/high chair
In our view
What we like
- Period features: It’s a lovely old Provence house and the much desired old floor-tiles have been retained, as well as the bar recycling parts of the old stables. Houses of this age have stone walls which means they keep cool in summer.
- Kitchen: A kitchen in which you can play at being a master chef.
- Bedrooms: The bedrooms are all a good size and with en suite bathroom.
Things to note
- Country life: The property is in the countryside and not fenced in, so supervision of toddlers is necessary.
The house is 1 mile from Joucas, one of the most beautiful hill-top villages of the Luberon.
Joucas is a laid-back and very pretty little perched village, topped by a 900-year-old fortress. After wandering around its medieval streets you can take in the wonderful view over a morning coffee or lunch from the simple bistro La Terrasse. For the sporty there are tennis courts as well as a playground for kiddies. And Joucas also has an ace up its sleeve for foodies – a Michelin-starred restaurant, Mas des Herbes Blanches, where the view matches the food.
- The nearest international airports to Joucas are Marseille (75km/46 miles), Nice (247/153 miles), Nimes (95km/59 miles), Montpellier (135km/83 miles).
- The nearest TGV high-speed rail stations to Joucas are Avignon TGV (45km/27 miles) and Aix-en-Provence TGV (83km/51 miles).
- Rental period: The rental week runs from Saturday 5pm to the following Saturday 10am in peak season. Arrival and departure are flexible the rest of the year.
- Minimum Stay: 1 week in peak season. Flexible the rest of the year.
- Included: Linens and towels, utilities, pool maintenance and after-stay clean.
- Damage deposit: There is a refundable security deposit of €600 against any breakages or damage.
- Smoking and Pets: Smoking and pets are not allowed inside.
- Full rental conditions