Just outside the village of Oppede are the wonderful winemakers of Domaine de Royere, this old mas on their grounds offers all the benefits of a wonderful authentic Provencal mas with the added bonus of being close enough to the estate museum and shop to pop in whenever you want to taste their produce and buy some of their great wine and olive oil.
- Entering the house into the open plan living area you are immediately struck by the high ceilings, marble floors and the sense of space and relaxation that this gives, there is also air conditioning in the room.
- In the living area there are 2 sofas in front of a working fireplace and you will also find a television in this area.
- The dining area next to the kitchen and lounge overlooks the garden and can seat up to 12 people, there is also a working piano.
- The kitchen is separate from the dining area. Here you will find everything you need to prepare Provence-inspired dishes. There is a fridge-freezer, electric hob and oven, dishwasher, Nespresso coffee machine and toaster.
- The rear utility room is equipped with washing machine, tumble dryer and ironing board.
- Beyond the kitchen is a wonderful long gallery with large sliding patio doors that can be opened to give access to the garden and provide a sheltered area for dining (dining for 8-10) and entertaining, from this room you also access Bedroom 1 and Bathroom 1, and the garage area.
- Through the arched entrance at the end of the gallery is a bright and airy lounge overlooking the garden. This is a comfortable multi-functional room with air conditioning.
- A garage area accessed from the long gallery has an area with a table tennis table and table football.
The house sleeps up to 10 people in 5 bedrooms. There is 1 bedroom on the lower flower and the others on the 1st floor. There are 3 bathrooms and the first floor bedrooms benefit from air conditioning.
Ground floor bedroom:– Bedroom 1: Ground floor double bedroom with 140cm double bed, windows and door overlooking the rear courtyard, large chest of drawers and hanging rail for storage.
– Bathroom 1: Adjacent to bedroom 1 with shower, washbasin and w.c.
First floor bedrooms:– Bedroom 2: A delightful light-filled suite with high ceilings and wooden beams, with a 160cm double bed and views over the garden, fitted with electric shutters. The room is air conditioned and has a large walk-in wardrobe area for storage. There is an ensuite bathroom.
There is an outer room to the suite which can be used as a lounge, home office or even as an extra bed if required with the sofa bed.
– Bathroom 2: A large bathroom with bath (jacuzzi not working), separate shower, 2 sinks, wc and bidet, overlooking the garden. 2nd floor
There is a shared air conditioning unit on the landing of this floor.
– Bedroom 3: An inviting room overlooking the garden, it has a 160cm double bed, built in storage and a workspace.
– Bedroom 4: A twin bedroom overlooking the garden, ideally suited for children.
– Bedroom 5: As with all the bedrooms on this floor, this room benefits from high ceilings, with views to the garden, it has a 160cm double bed, built in storage and a work space.
– Bathroom 3: A bathroom with bath, separate shower, 2 sinks and w.c. overlooking the garden it is a shared bathroom for bedrooms 3,4,5.The ground floor bedrooms a found along a single corridor.
The mas, although part of the winery, is entered from the small hamlet behind it, where you can park along the road or in the garage which can accommodate 1 large car or 2 smaller ones.
As you enter the property, you immediately see the house and its veranda on your left, the pool on your right and the gardens which extend into a small field ideal for exploring and playing in.
The pool area is heated and fenced but also has an alarm for security. There are sun loungers and chairs and a pool house at one end of the pool for those who prefer a little shade.
The pool area is connected to the main house by a lawn and garden area with many seating and dining options, including a lovely tiled table on a dining terrace under the shady branches of a plane tree.
Beyond this garden is a large open area with trees for shade, from here you can use the gate to access the wine museum and shop.
The Mas is close to the village of Oppede and it is possible to walk into the centre, about 1.5km, so a bike or car may be preferable. Oppede is a lovely village with several restaurants, a grocery shop, a boulangerie, a park and tennis courts. There is more to explore above the village with a medieval village.
The neighbouring Luberon villages of Menerbes, Gordes and Roussillon are all within a 5-15 minute drive. The cities of Marseille, Avignon and Aix en Provence are also well worth a visit and are within 45 minutes to an hour from the house.
The house is in quiet countryside 1 mile (1.5km) from the village of Oppede and about 2 miles (3km) from Menerbes, in the ‘golden triangle’ of the Luberon.
There are two Oppedes which are quite different in character: Oppede-le-vieux, perched halfway up the Luberon mountain, is the original medieval village dating back 1000 years or so, and is a fascinating time-locked glimpse into the past, with no hint of modernity allowed inside the walls. You can walk up to the church and castle ruins above the village for a spectacular view over the Luberon valley.
Down in the valley the new Oppede is where the population descended to in the last century, and this is a completely untouristy, authentic Provence village with two restaurants and a bar, bakery and tennis courts. Oppede is a calm and well-positioned base from which to explore the region’s highlights.
Menerbes is Oppedes’ more famous neigbour, with a beautiful medieval town and far reaching views.
- The nearest international airports to Oppede are Marseille (70km/41 miles), Nice (148 miles), Nimes (91km/56 miles), Montpellier (131km/81 miles).
- The nearest TGV high-speed rail stations to Oppede are Avignon TGV (41km/25 miles) and Aix-en-Provence TGV (76km/25 miles).
- Rental period: The rental week runs from Saturday 4pm to the following Saturday 10am in peak season. Arrival and departure are flexible the rest of the year.
- Minimum Stay: 1 week in peak season. Flexible the rest of the year.
- Included: Linens and towels, utilities, after-stay clean.
- Damage deposit: There is a refundable security deposit of €1000 against any breakages or damage.
- Pets: Pets may be allowed upon request.
- Smoking : Smoking is not allowed in the house.
- Full rental conditions