Originally a 17th century coaching inn, this is a stunning 6-bedroom conversion in 3.7 acres of land, near l’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, and between Avignon and the Luberon. The house has a beautiful Provencal decor, with many of the original features and materials, as well as techniques, used in the restoration, to make an authentic and very comfortable Provence country home. With underfloor heating throughout, it is also an ideal winter or Christmas rental home.
- Kitchen/dining: You enter into a gorgeous big space with kitchen and dining table, opening out to the terrace and garden. The stone fireplace is the centrepiece of the room, along with limewashed walls and exposed beams. The kitchen has a professional cooker with double oven, 4 gas burners and a hot plate. The 1950s bar fridge with wooden doors serves as a drinks fridge, and there is also an American fridge-freezer with ice and water. The kitchen also has dishwasher, microwave, Nespresso and drip coffee machine. In the pantry are the washing machine and dryer.
- Living room 1: With massive stone fireplace and work desk, opening to the south-facing terrace.
- Living room 2: Sofa and armchairs around the fireplace, and TV with Canal Sat, including BBC World and CNN.
- Guest WC: On the ground floor.
The house has 6 large bedrooms, all with en suite bathrooms, sleeping 12 people. Two bedrooms are on the ground floor. All bedrooms face south to the view and each bathroom has a hairdryer.
- Bedroom 1: With a 1.6m/5.25ft-wide double bed and en suite bathroom with walk-in shower, double basins and WC.
- Bedroom 2: This room can be configured as two single beds or as a 1.8m/6ft-wide double, and has an en suite bathroom with walk-in shower, basin and WC. Bedrooms 1 and 2 are up the same set of stairs from the ground floor.
- Bedroom 3: With a 1.6m/5.25ft-wide double bed and en suite bathroom with walk-in shower, basin and WC.
- Bedroom 4: Corner suite with day-bed that can be used for a child at extra cost, and en suite bathroom with walk-in shower, double basins and WC. Bedrooms 3 and 4 are up the same set of stairs from the ground floor.
- Bedroom 5: Ground floor room with the original blacksmith’s chimney from the house’s former life as a coaching inn. This room has a 1.6m/5.25ft-wide double bed and en suite bathroom with walk-in shower, basin and WC. There is also a day-bed that can be used as a child’s bed at an additional cost.
- Bedroom 6: On the ground floor, opening out to the terrace, with a 1.6m/5.25ft-wide double bed and en suite bathroom with walk-in shower, basin and WC.
The property has 1.5 ha / 3.7 acres of level land, mostly lawned. The chateau of Thouzon is the backdrop facing south. A beautiful terrace runs along the front of the house, with dining tables shaded by 300-year-old plane trees, and a gas barbecue.
Beyond the terrace is lawn with a large swimming pool measuring 17 x 5m (55 x 16ft), long enough to swim laps. The pool has steps at both ends, and an alarm for security. There are sunloungers and shade by the pool. Around the garden are lavender and rosemary, and fruit trees: apricot, cherry, fig, apple and plum.
There are two gathering places outside, one is for the youngsters, with ping pong table in the shade of the barn lean-to. The other is a shaded outdoor living room with sofas and dining table, and Sonos speaker.
There is plenty of gated, off-street parking to the side of the house.
At a glance
In our view
What we like
- Style: Straight from the pages of a coffee-table book on Provence, with so much care taken on the materials and workmanship, as well as the furnishings, this is a house with great character and style, perfect for those who love the ideal of Provence.
- Equal bedrooms: The 6 bedrooms are each of a similar generous size, with south-facing view, shower, basin and WC.
- Pool: A big pool, long enough to swim laps.
- Outdoors: Various outdoor spots for different age groups to call their own, and the dining tables under the shade of the ancient plane trees are perfect for everyone to come together at meals.
- Location: This is a great Provence location, equidistant to Avignon and the Luberon, with all the amenities of Le Thor 5 minutes away, and the stunning market town of l’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue close by too.
Things to note
- Pool: The pool has an alarm for security but extra care should be taken with young children.
- Extra beds: Two bedrooms have a day-bed that can be used for a child, at an additional cost of 250 euros per bed, so the house can sleep 14 in total.
Mas du Thor is in a country setting between the Luberon and Avignon, with the village of Le Thor 4km away and the town of l’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue 12km away.
L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is a wonderful Provence market town with many restaurants, cafes, boutiques and specialist stores, an historic centre, and the nickname ‘The Venice of Provence’. But that is not what l’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is known for – it is also the antiques capital of France, with hundreds of sellers and stores open every Sunday, ranging from collectable bric-a-brac to the real thing.
- The nearest international airports to L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue are Marseille (41 miles), Nice (148 miles), Nimes (44 miles), Montpellier (72 miles).
- L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue has a railway station and the nearest TGV high-speed stations are Avignon (16 miles) and Aix-en-Provence (44 miles).
- Rental period: The rental week runs from Saturday 5pm to the following Saturday 10am in peak season..
- Minimum Stay: 1 week in peak season. Flexible the rest of the year.
- Included: Linens and towels, utilities, 1 x 3 hours of cleaning per week, visitor tax, after-stay clean.
- Damage deposit: There is a refundable security deposit of €2000 against any breakages or damage.
- Smoking and Pets: Smoking and pets are not allowed in the house.
- Full rental conditions