This secluded 18th century farmhouse has been carefully restored and retains much of its original charm. It has a main house and adjoining this is the converted outbuilding with 2 additional bedrooms and a bathroom.
When you walk through the ancient front door you have the choice of turning left into the living room or right to the kitchen, and the stairs up to the next level.
- Living Room: With a sofa and armchairs around a traditional fireplace, TV/DVD (TNT French channels), hi-fi, WiFi and computer for guest use, as well as a baby grand piano for accomplished pianists. The living room opens onto the terrace through full-width sliding doors.
- Kitchen/Dining: The kitchen has oven, 4-ring stove, fridge/freezer, microwave, coffee machine, dishwasher. The dining area has a large farmhouse table and a fireplace for grilling.
- Utility Room: Off the kitchen, with washing machine.
- Guest WC: On the ground floor.
The house sleeps 12 people in 5 bedrooms, with 4 bathrooms. 2 bedrooms are on the first floor up, 1 is a ground-floor double bunk room, a single bed is in an annexs off the living room, and the other two bedrooms are in an adjoining building.
- Master Bedroom: Upstairs bedroom with 1.6m/5.25ft-wide bed and a desk area at the other end. The en suite bathroom has a walk-in shower, basin and WC.
- Bedroom 2: Upstair bedroom which can be either a twin room with two singles, or the beds can be put together to make a 1.6m/5.25ft-wide double.
- Bathroom 1: Upstairs, with bath, basin, WC and bidet.
- Bedroom 3: On the ground floor, a large twin bunk room to sleep 4 children, with and a large table and benches, and access to outside through large french doors.
- Bathroom 2: A separate shower, WC and basin to serve bedrooms 3 and 4.
- Bedroom 4: On the ground floor, not quite a true bedroom but an annexe off the living room near bedroom 3 with a desk and single bed.
- Bedroom 5: In adjoining building, up some stairs off the terrace, with a 1.4m/4.6ft-wide double bed, and a desk.
- Bathroom 3: In adjoining building, a separate shower-room, and washroom with basin and WC, for bedrooms 5 and 6.
- Bedroom 6: In adjoining building, this can be either a twin room with two singles, or the beds can be put together to make a 1.6m/5.25ft-wide double. Access to shared bathroom 3 up some steps.
The house has 5 acres of land so plenty of room to play and explore, planted with lavender, olive trees, vineyards and cherry trees. It is backed by a hill that belongs to the house and has views up to the Luberon hills.
There is a large protected paved terrace which is shaded by an old lime tree.
The large, heated pool is set away from the house and measures 14m x 5m (46 x 16ft), with security fence.
At a glance
In our view
Things to note
- Pool Security: Although the pool is fenced, care should be taken with small children.
- Country lane: The approach is along several hundred metres of well-maintained country lane but care should be taken with low-clearance sports cars!
The Mas d’Oppede is in between the Luberon villages of Oppede and Menerbes, which are about 2km/1.2 miles away.
There are two Oppedes which are quite different in character: Oppede-le-vieux, perched halfway up the Luberon mountain, is the original medieval village dating back 1000 years or so, and is a fascinating time-locked glimpse into the past, with no hint of modernity allowed inside the walls. You can walk up to the church and castle ruins above the village for a spectacular view over the Luberon valley.
Down in the valley the new Oppede is where the population descended to in the last century, and this is a completely untouristy, authentic Provence village with two restaurants and a bar, bakery and tennis courts. Oppede is a calm and well-positioned base from which to explore the region’s highlights.
Menerbes is Oppedes’ more famous neigbour, with a beautiful medieval town and far reaching views.
- The nearest international airports to Oppede are Marseille (70km/41 miles), Nice (148 miles), Nimes (91km/56 miles), Montpellier (131km/81 miles).
- The nearest TGV high-speed rail stations to Oppede are Avignon TGV (41km/25 miles) and Aix-en-Provence TGV (76km/25 miles).
- Rental period: The rental week runs from Saturday 4pm to the following Saturday 10am in peak season. Arrival and departure are flexible the rest of the year.
- Minimum Stay: 1 week in peak season. Flexible the rest of the year.
- Included: Linens and towels, utilities, after-stay clean.
- Damage deposit: There is a refundable security deposit of €1000 against any breakages or damage.
- Pets: Some pets are accepted in the house.
- Smoking: Smoking is not allowed in the house.
- Full rental conditions