The Ochre House is a perfectly designed for rentals, with its 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms sleeping 10, and emphasis on the outside spaces, pool and view – because outside is where you would be spending most of your time. The living room, kitchen and dining table are in one space, with the shaded terrace right outside. This house is all new for 2016.
- Living Room: TV/DVD with French and English-language channels, hifi with Bluetooth, and WiFi throughout the house.
- Kitchen: The kitchen has 5-ring stove, oven, fridge-freezer, dishwasher, microwave, and washing machine. The dining table is between the kitchen and living room area.
The house sleeps 10 people in 5 bedrooms, with 4 bathrooms. All bedrooms are on the ground floor, the house is single-storey. One bedroom and bathroom are in a little annex house across the courtyard, giving more independence for a couple. Two bathrooms have hairdryers.
- Bedroom 1: With a 1.6m/5.25ft-wide bed, and French doors opening onto the side terrace. The en suite bathroom has shower, basin and WC.
- Bedroom 2: With a 1.6m/5.25ft-wide bed, writing desk and French doors opening onto the side terrace. Its en suite bathroom has shower, basin and WC, and there is no door between bedroom and bathroom.
- Bedroom 3: Twin beds, both 80cm wide (32 inches).
- Bedroom 4: Twin beds measuring 90cm wide (3ft).
- Bathroom 3: Shared by bedrooms 3 and 4, with shower, double basins and WC.
- Bedroom 5: In the annex house, with a 1.6m/5.25ft-wide bed, and en suite bathroom with shower, basin and WC.
There is a tiny hamlet to the rear, and the house faces south to the front with spectacular view over garden and open countryside. The pool is on the level below the house, then there is a large olive orchard and grassy field. The view takes in the length of the Luberon mountain and the valley below with the hill-top villages of Bonnieux and Lacoste.
Along the front of the house is a shaded terrace with dining table and seating area. There is a second seating area under shade by the pool, and a plancha for outdoor cooking.
The pool measures 12m x 5m (40ft x 16ft) and has steps at the shallow end. The pool has an alarm for security and is open from April to October.
Next to the pool is a boules/petanque court, as well as a swing set for the kids.
The house has secure, shaded parking for two cars. More cars can be parked on the path outside.
At a glance
In our view
What we like
- Location: It’s lovely to have Roussillon and its amenities close by, but also be in a quiet country setting.
- View: It’s a big,big view, you can just sit watching the light and shadows change through the day.
- Price: Good price for the 5 bedrooms and the level of amenities.
- Outside: Everything faces south to the sun and the view, and places to relax and have fun have been well thought out.
Things to note
- Pool alarm: The pool has an alarm but extra care is needed with young children. The pool is open from April to October.
The Ochre House is in the countryside 2km (1.2 miles) from the village of Roussillon.
Roussillon is one of the most recognisable villages in France. It used to be known for its ochre quarry, now it is known for the spectacular palette of ochre shades that colour the houses – there are said to be 17 different hues from yellow to pink. Roussillon is not just a pretty face, as a popular village it has several restaurants, art boutiques and a quaint market on Thursday mornings, so it is a good village base too. Not to mention the other-worldly ochre quarry which you can visit on a circuit of the ochre walk (sentier des ocres).
- The nearest international airports to Roussillon are Marseille (81km/50 miles), Nice (228km/141 miles), Nimes (101km/62 miles), Montpellier (141km/87 miles).
- The nearest TGV high-speed railway stations to Roussillon are Avignon TGV (50km/31 miles) and Aix-en-Provence TGV (88km/54 miles).
- Rental period: The rental week runs from Saturday 5pm to the following Saturday 10am.
- Minimum Stay: 1 week.
- Included: Linens and towels, utilities, after-stay clean.
- Damage deposit: There is a refundable security deposit of €800 against any breakages or damage.
- Smoking and Pets: Smoking and pets are not allowed in the house.
- Full rental conditions