The house is formerly an old stone Provence farmhouse close to Bonnieux, with large pool and its own lavender field, and very non-traditional, designer decor. Bedrooms are spacious and en suite, bathrooms are superb, furnishings are high-end. This is a luxury rental house for 10 people + 4 on sofa-beds. The layout of the rooms makes it ideal for groups or families wanting the possibility of independence, but with spaces to all join up. Two of the bedrooms are designed like luxury hotel rooms over two floors and include their own living room and kitchen.
- Living Room: A bright room with sofas and fireplace at one end and sleek designer kitchen at the other, opening to the terrace and pool through big french doors, and on the other side to the dining room. There is TV/DVD and WiFi internet throughout.
- Kitchen: In the main living room and designed to be unobtrusive, with white goods concealed and a long white work-top to blend into the room. The kitchen has induction stove, oven, dishwasher, and double fridge under the worktop.
- Dining Room: Adjoining the kitchen in a conservatory-style extension, providing a shaded place for meals, as an alternative to the main terrace facing south.
- Laundry Room: With washing machine.
- Guest WC: On the ground floor, next to the dining room.
The house sleeps up to 14 people, with 5 large double bedrooms with en suite bathrooms sleeping 10, and two sofa-beds that can accommodate another 4 people. Sofa-beds are in the same space as the bedrooms so are better suited for children. There are no doors between a bedroom and its bathrooms/WC, everything is in one large space. Two of the bedrooms are on the ground floor.
- Bedroom 1: This is a vast suite over two floors with living room downstairs. In one large space upstairs are the solid wooden bed and en suite bathroom, with a fireplace as separator. The bed is 1.8m/6ft wide, and the room has a private balcony with deckchairs looking out over pool and lavender field. The bathroom has double his ‘n hers walk-in showers, pedestal bath, double basin and WC. Downstairs the living room has fireplace and fully equipped kitchen, TV/DVD with English and French channels, and Apple TV. The living room also has a sofa-bed with the possibility of sleeping 2 children.
- Bedroom 2: The second bedroom suite is accessed up steps from the garden level. This has a double-height living room with kitchen, TV/DVD with Apple TV, and views out to three sides of the property. On the same level is the bathroom with walk-in shower, pedestal bath, double basins and a stunning tile mosaic. On the mezzanine level above this is the 1.8m/6ft-wide box spring bed.
- Bedroom 3: A ground floor bedroom with access from the courtyard, the room has a 1.8m/6ft-wide box spring bed and a separate area with sofa-bed for up to 2 children. The room opens out through french doors to two outdoor sitting areas. Through an arch is the bathroom with walk-in shower, pedestal bath, double basins and WC.
- Bedroom 4: A ground floor bedroom with access from the courtyard, the room has a 1.8m/6ft-wide box spring bed and a pedestal bath in the bedroom. French doors open to its terrace with sunset view to the west. En suite is the bathroom with walk-in shower, double basins and WC.
- Bedroom 5: Accessed up steps from the dining room, this room has a balcony looking over the pool and lavender field, and a 1.8m/6ft-wide bed facing the stone fireplace, with a pedestal bath, walk-in shower, double basins, and WC.
The property has 2.8 ha (7 acres) of land, including a 5-acre lavender field. Along the front of the house runs the terrace with outdoor dining, and then it is the pool with lawn to the side, and the lavender field beyond that. There is a great view of the Luberon mountain, and the perched, hill-top villages of Bonnieux and Lacoste.
The pool measures 13m x 7m (42 x 23ft) and is heated in the shoulder months to extend the swimming season. The pool has an electronic sliding cover for security. The poolhouse offers a shaded lounging area as well as a stone barbecue.
To the side of the house is a walled garden with a hammock on the lawn and another shaded outside table. At the back is a boules/petanque playing area.
The property has plenty of off-street parking. Also on the grounds and out of the way is the caretakers’ cottage: the caretakers are an English couple who know the area very well and can help with problems or local advice. One of the services they can provide is a daily breakfast delivery.
At a glance
In our view
What we like
- Style: If you are looking for a traditional Provencal farmhouse, this is not the one for you, but if you want a contemporary, high-end ambience from the pages of a design magazine, this is the perfect choice.
- Garden: The exterior is as striking as the interior, with the big, heated pool, private terraces or balconies for every room, and the great view to the south.
- Lavender: Many people come to Provence for the lavender, with this house you do not need to leave the comfort of your sunlounger to enjoy the sight and scent of your own field of lavender.
- Beds and baths: The box spring beds are as comfortable as can be, while the bathrooms are all exquisitely designed.
Things to note
- Pool: The pool has a sliding cover for security but extra care should be taken with young children.
- Caretakers: The delightful English caretaker couple live in their own cottage on the grounds, and you can either get their help with everything from breakfast to local recommendations, or not see them at all, as you choose.
The house is in quiet countryside 2.5 miles (4km) from the village of Bonnieux and 3 miles (4.5km) from Goult and Lacoste, in the ‘golden triangle’ of the Luberon.
Bonnieux is as picture-perfect from afar as it is on the inside. Beautifully preserved and also alive all year thanks to its shops, cafes and especially its many restaurants. There is fine architecture to be seen in Bonnieux’s streets, dating back to the middle ages. And another reason to love Bonnieux – it has magnificent views, facing west there is a panorama that takes in half of the Luberon. The Friday morning market in Bonnieux is a must, it’s well stocked with stalls and very picturesque too.
- The nearest international airports to Bonnieux are Marseille (82km/48 miles), Nice (218km/128 miles), Nimes (100km/59 miles), Montpellier (142km/83 miles).
- The nearest TGV high-speed rail stations to Bonnieux are Aix-en-Provence TGV (57km/33 miles) and Avignon TGV (50km/29 miles).
- Rental period: The rental week runs from Saturday 5pm to the following Saturday 10am in peak season. Arrival and departure are flexible the rest of the year.
- Minimum Stay: 1 week in peak season. Flexible the rest of the year.
- Included: Linens and towels, utilities, after-stay clean.
- Damage deposit: There is a refundable security deposit of €1000 against any breakages or damage.
- Smoking and Pets: Smoking and pets are not allowed in the house.
- Full rental conditions