An interior-designed, 18th-century farmhouse, converted into a luxury rental home for up to 10 people. The house is in Luberon countryside between the gorgeous perched villages of Menerbes and Lacoste. If the style is Provencal, the comforts and furnishings are modern, as is the heated pool.
The house is built around the sheltered, stone-paved central courtyard in the typical Provence manner, with garden and pool to the rear of the property.
- Living Room: Forming one side of the courtyard, the living/dining room is a large and very light space with comfortable sofas and armchair, as well as dining table. There is satellite TV with French and English-language channels, as well as Apple TV which allows you to watch films and programmes on your iTunes account. There are two Bose iPod docks in the house, and WiFi internet.
- Kitchen: The kitchen is very well equipped, with 5-ring stove, big oven, fridge-freezer, dishwasher, coffee machine and all the gadgets a cook might want.
- Laundry Room: With washing machine and tumble dryer.
- Guest WC: On the ground floor.
The house sleeps 10 people in 5 bedrooms, with 5 bathrooms. One bedroom is on the ground floor, the others are upstairs. Beds and bedlinens are all high quality.
- Bedroom 1: Accessed up steps from the courtyard, a stunning room and en suite, with view south over the garden. This room is air conditioned. The bed is an American king, 1.8m/6ft-wide. Opposite the bed is hidden away the satellite TV, Apple TV, Sonos sound system, and video library with Synology. The en suite bathroom has a pedestal bath, with walk-in shower behind, double basins and toilet.
- Bedroom 2: On the ground floor, bedroom 2 has exposed beams, antique furnishings and modern bed measuring 1.6m/5.25ft wide. The large bathroom has a clawfoot bath, walk-in shower, double basins and separate WC.
- Bedroom 3: Upstairs double with a 1.6m/5.25ft-wide bed, and the bathroom in the bedroom with shower and basin. Separate toilet.
- Bedroom 4: This upstairs children’s bedroom can either be a double or two singles. In the room are shower and basin.
- Bedroom 5: This room is independent as it is outside the courtyard, reached by outside steps. This is a cosy room with 1.4m/4.6ft-wide bed and in the room are shower, basin and toilet.
The house is set round the inner courtyard, sheltered if there is wind, a place to eat by the olive tree and the fountain, and atmospherically lit up at night. The courtyard is like an outside room, the other rooms open onto it, and the living room has a wall of glass doors along its length.
Beyond the courtyard to the back of the house is a shaded terrace with seating and dining table, as well as a BBQ. Through a wooden gate is the lawned garden and pool.
The pool is non-chlorine and heated when needed from May to October. The pool measures 10m x 4m (33 x 13ft) and has an alarm for security. By the pool are sunloungers and the shade of mature oak trees.
Beyond the pool, through another wooden gate the garden turns to meadow and exploration, with a view of the Luberon mountain. The land is expansive and planted with pines and olive trees, truffle oaks, fig trees and lavender. There are no neighbours to see or hear.
The house has gated entrance and secure parking for several cars.
At a glance
In our view
What we like
- Luxury: No expense has been spared in this renovation, from gorgeous bathrooms to top-quality bedlinen.
- Pool: Apart from the lovely setting, the pool is heated and does not use chlorine.
- Entertainment: The house has all the current gizmos: Apple TVs, Synology, Bose docks, as well as old-fashioned stuff like satellite TV.
- Bedroom 1: Just a perfect suite: the decor, the entertainment options, the little writing room, the positioning of the pedestal bath, the re-purposed antique doors, and the view from the windows.
Things to note
- Pool: The pool has a security alarm, there is also a gate leading to the pool level, but a determined youngster could circumvent that, so care needs to be taken with young children.
Be the first to leave a review.
St Hilaire is 3 miles from the village of Menerbes.
Menerbes is a perfect Provence village – picturesque, perched above the vineyards with terrific views all around, and blessed with good restaurants, bar and small food stores, as well as the seasonal market on Thursday mornings. Peter Mayle came here to write ‘A Year in Provence’, he left long ago but everything that delighted him and his readers is still in place. Art expos and a classical music festival give Menerbes a gentle buzz in the summer.
- The nearest international airports to Menerbes are Marseille (70km/41 miles), Nice (148 miles), Nimes (91km/56 miles), Montpellier (131km/81 miles).
- The nearest TGV high-speed rail stations to Menerbes are Avignon TGV (41km/25 miles) and Aix-en-Provence TGV (76km/25 miles).
- Rental period: The rental week runs from Saturday 4pm to the following Saturday 10am in peak season. Arrival and departure are flexible the rest of the year.
- Minimum Stay: 1 week in peak season. Flexible the rest of the year.
- Included: Linens and towels, utilities, 3 hours of cleaning 3 times a week, and after-stay clean.
- Damage deposit: There is a refundable security deposit of €2000 against any breakages or damage.
- Smoking and Pets: Smoking and cats are not allowed in the house.
- Full rental conditions