Villa Ansouis is in the vineyards and orchards of the south Luberon with a perfect view of Ansouis castle. Inside it has a cosy feel with colourful Provencal decor and exposed beams. On the ground floor are living room, kitchen and dining room, as well as one bedroom with en suite bathroom.
- Living Room: With beamed ceiling, and sofas and armchairs around the fireplace, this room opens out to the terrace and pool. There is TV/DVD with Orange TV including CNN and BBC World as well as all the French channels. The house has WiFi internet.
- Kitchen: Through an arched doorway the kitchen has gas stove, oven, American fridge-freezer with cold water and ice, microwave, dishwasher and washing machine.
- Dining room: Coming off the kitchen, the dining room has a triple aspect and opens out to the terrace and pool.
The house sleeps 8 people in 4 bedrooms, with 3 bathrooms. Two of the bedrooms and bathrooms are on the ground floor.
- Bedroom 1: On the ground floor, the master bedroom opens out to the terrace and pool at the front of the house. It has a 1.6m/5.25ft-wide bed. Its en suite bathroom has bath, shower, basin and separate WC.
- Bedroom 2: Also on the ground floor, this is a big bedroom with separate entrance from the terrace. It has a 1.6m/5.25ft-wide bed and en suite bathroom with shower, basin and WC.
- Bedroom 3: Upstairs and air conditioned, with a 1.6m/5ft-wide double bed, and a view over the vineyards to Ansouis.
- Bedroom 4: Upstairs with two single beds.
- Bathroom 3: Upstairs bathroom for bedrooms 3 and 4, with shower, basin and WC.
To the front of the house is the vine-shaded terrace with dining table, BBQ and sitting area, and then a gravelled area with mulberry trees and another dining table. The pool has sunloungers around it and in the garden are lavender, rosemary and cypress. Beyond are the vineyards and view to Ansouis.
The pool measures 9m x m (30 x 16ft) and has steps and a little ‘beach’ at one end.
To the side of the house is a delightful boules court with overarching trees providing shade.
There are 1.3 ha (3.2 acres) of land, with oak woods and an orchard with cherry, almond and olive trees.
At a glance
In our view
What we like
- Cosy: The house has a welcoming cottage feel with its exposed beams and Provencal colours.
- Location: A great location in the countryside and vineyards in between two of the best villages in Provence – Ansouis and Cucuron – both of which have a Michelin-starred restaurant.
- Outdoors: Beautiful views, choice of dining spots, and that essential ingredient for Provence fun: a boules court.
Things to note
- Air Conditioning: The air conditioning is only in bedroom 3.
- Low beam: This is an old and characterful house, and as a result there is a low beam at the top of the stairs that tall people should watch out for.
Villa Ansouis is in the countryside 1.5 miles (2.5km) from the village of Ansouis.
Ansouis, on the south side of the Luberon, is officially one of France’s Most Beautiful Villages, and it’s easy to see why: topped by a perfect medieval castle and church, with honey-coloured houses tumbling down, and hemmed in by vineyards, Ansouis is a little haven in a glorious Provence landscape. The village is peaceful and calm, with bakery, bar, grocery and an excellent restaurant, La Closerie. Natural swimming in a lake called l’Etang de la Bonde is 5 minutes away.
- The nearest international airports to Ansouis are Marseille (56km/34 miles), Nice (202km/125 miles), Nimes (104km/64 miles), Montpellier (160km/99 miles).
- The nearest TGV high-speed rail stations to Ansouis are Aix-en-Provence TGV (46km/28 miles) and Avignon TGV (73km/45 miles).
- Rental period: The rental week runs from Saturday 5pm to the following Saturday 10am in peak season. Arrival and departure are flexible the rest of the year.
- Minimum Stay: 1 week in peak season. Flexible the rest of the year.
- Included: Linens and towels, utilities, after-stay clean.
- Damage deposit: There is a refundable security deposit of €500 against any breakages or damage.
- Smoking and Pets: Smoking and pets are not allowed in the house.
- Winter rentals: From November to March electricity is charged extra.
- Full rental conditions